Friday, January 4, 2008

MY BIG BACKYARD


I feed a variety of animals that pass through my backyard. Deer, skunks, raccoons, and possums are among the few. I have been able to establish a relationship with some of them. For instance…when the deer come, I hold up an apple and say “apple, apple” they look and then I toss it to them. They know that when I say “apple” I have something for them! Over time, they have become more and more trusting of me. They only seem to be skittish when there is a fawn present. Trying to photograph them has proven to be difficult to say the least. At times, when I hold up the camera to take a picture, I believe that they think it’s a gun! It frightens them at times, and they start to bolt! The regulars have gotten used to me, and the newbies learn in time that there is nothing to be afraid of. They are such a joy! I am beginning to think that an animal’s fear could be more learned than instinctual. For example, when the baby possums and raccoons are present, they seem to be so much more trusting than the older animals! I wonder if at a certain age the fear instinct just kicks in or if it is learned from their experiences.

No comments: